Thursday, January 16, 2014
Got this from thehumbledhomemaker.com. She has a lot of great mix recipes that I have used and I love them!
Making your own mixes can certainly be beneficial in many ways. One is that you are getting less of the extra nonsense that they put in already-made mixes like MSG and such. Plus you can get a fresher taste when you mix them yourself. My favorite is that you can adjust each ingredient the way you like it and create your own flavor!
2 tsp chili powder (you can also make this homemade!)
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt (or regular salt)
This makes enough to cover 1 package taco seasoning or 3 Tbl.
For a fresher taste, omit the garlic powder and add fresh chopped garlic when you use the mix!
Thursday, January 9, 2014
It's easiest to make it in an electric skillet but you can convert it to a pan or even a casserole dish in the oven. I haven't tried it in a crock pot yet but that's definitely a possibility.
1 onion, cut up
4 cups hash brown potatoes
1 cup sausage, cooked and crumbled (may use ham, bacon, bacon bits or any other meat you wish)(be sure it is pre-cooked and cut into small pieces)
2-3 eggs, beaten
1 cup shredded colby jack cheese (or your fave!)
Salt and pepper
2 Tbls cooking oil
2 Tbls butter
1. Get your skillet heating up then add oil and butter.
2. Cut up onion and add to skillet. Saute until onion begins to turn opaque.
3. Add hash browns and stir. Turn over every 2-3 minutes.
4. Add meat and mix it all up.
5. When mixture is almost done, add eggs and stir around until eggs are cooked. They should look like little pieces of scrambled egg all mixed in the potatoes.
6. Spread cheese across entire surface of potato mixture and put the lid on the pan. Turn off burner, call your guests, then serve!